THE POWER OF THE TWEET

Personally I enjoy the way the internet is changing the face of the planet. Be it blogs, social network sites like facebook and twitter, whatever. I've been writing this blog for four and a half years now and it's not like I'm changing anything, all I'm doing is documenting a life in a fragmented kind of way. But it's a bit more than that, in documenting my life I'm also partially documenting the lives of a heap of others. This story is interwoven with their lives and they need merely click on their tag at the bottom of any particular post and they suddenly see their lives unfolding for the same period. That's the past of course and who knows when I'll stop blogging. I'm not sure myself, not soon at least.

But that's just me and I live in a peaceful enough country where very little happens so it's not an action packed, dangerous or horrific life, this isn't the case though with many others. Take those protesting in Iran right now. At this very moment, as I write these words, thousands of people are standing in front of heavily armed police and some are dying. Bombs are exploding and the world is mostly oblivious to the exact happenings. In this technological world the free press cannot report on this story because of the internal Iranian crackdown. But they can't crack down on everything and this is where the Tweet is reigning supreme.
"140 characters is a novel when you’re being shot at." unknown

Have a look at this Twitter feed for example, they are posting Tweets every 60 seconds or so as the events unfold. Also check out this blogger, awful stuff. It's getting worse by the minute too. In fact I've just refreshed the blog page and it's getting really bad....

6:35
HUNDREDS OF IRANIAN SECURITY FORCES INJURED IN RECENT CLASHES
6:42
Hard conflict in Enghelab Sq,Shooting directly to the people
6:50
Basidj leaving after being confronted with the masses of people!
6:53
polices & basijs are Launching Tear gas to people intermittently
6:55
injured protestors have nosebleeding due to gas used by police
6:56
Tehran protesters coming in waves, will go on till dark and beyond. This no longer rally but street fighting.
6:58
hey shoot at people and take those wounded with their vans
7:00
Tehran full of fire and blood
7:01
People gathering at Vanak SQ
7:02
Plain cloths bikers attacking non-protesters near Vali-asr sq
7:03
They shoot at people and take those wounded with their vans
7:04
Shiraz: Intense conflict in Alam sq
7:05
Gunfire/sirens heard Tohid SQ
7:06
forces dont let ppl use cell phones. they beat anyone with a cell phone in hand
7:07
1 young man shot dead near Vali Asr Cr
7:08
Basij in EVERY square in Tehran
Tomorrow I think will be very interesting for all the wrong reasons.
.

Comments