SUPERSTITIONS IVE HAD A FEW

I don't consider myself a particularly superstitious person, although I may have to rethink that after I write this post. I was just reading the latest post at one of my fav blogs Waiter Rant and it sparked some memories of how I've been sucked into the superstition trap.

The worst of these is not so much the ones you develop on your own, it's the ones imposed upon you by others. Granted I have to be susceptible to allow this but that's just it, at times I can be.

A good example is a few years back I was working with a guy, name of Hads, up at Woodstock Abidos in the Pilbara. We were just cruisin around each day in a Toyota tray back with an iPod blasting away, good times. But Hads had this crappy superstition about how you could not leave the volume level on an odd number. "no way man that's bad luck". At first I laughed it off, but after the 3rd or 4th time I realised he was dead serious, now today a good 4 years later I still have to stop myself from moving the volume to an even number.

Far out.

I used to play a lot of soccer on my weekends in various leagues, mostly as a goal keeper and oh man wasn't that a mine field of superstitious acts. I always had to have my laces threaded through my boots a certain way. I always put my goal keeping gloves on in a certain order and if I punched my left hand with my right fist I had to reciprocate with the right hand and left fist. Exactly the same number of punches as well. If I had a good game, made some good saves I'd look back at things I had done, which song I had been humming in my head, that sort of thing.

Therapy has relieved me of these burdens for now ;) but I just know there's some more "phobias" waiting for me somewhere. So I guess I have been particularly superstitious in my time but god help the next person who dumps one of theirs on me.

Did someone say "ladder, broken mirror, black cat"
.

Comments