HAS THE WORLD GONE FUCKING CRAZY

I'll get to my point shortly. But seeing as fish are a large part of the story, I have to mention this first.

Flying into Perth last night I had to quietly chuckle to myself. The rather portly gentleman sitting to my right, who was wearing an angling club T shirt, put away his fishing magazine as they served dinner. Incidently, dinner on the plane was fish, Salmon I think, I couldn't tell exactly. I never eat the airline food so I had to peek at his.

After dinner he turns on his laptop, his desktop uploads, it's a picture of a guy kissing a big fish Rex Hunt style. I was beginning to sense a pattern here. Then he clicks on his DVD player and yep, a DVD on how to do big game fishing. Holy shit, how much fish can one man have in his life!

But I digress. I heard on talkback radio the other day (hey it's all we can pick up way out there in the desert) a guy ring in and complain that people should stop fishing as it causes fish pain.

With the what now?!!

He was deadly serious. "People think it's fun to fish, but do they ever think of the fish?"

Think what? Think of it's feelings? Think of it's family? Holy sushi! What is with all this PC crap of late, don't get me wrong, I'm against cruelty to animals. But we fish to eat, we are humans and we need sustenance to survive. Yeah yeah, don't get me onto that whole "Vegetarians live without meat" topic. I'm an ex chef for christs sake, you don't want to hear my views on vegetarians (strictly from a chefs point of view that is).

But seriously, I respect anyones choice not to eat meat, do what you want. But don't tell me that us meat eaters can't have fish because fish have pain sensors in their lips.

Have a read of this rant by Michael Ruhlman, he's gettin a bit peeved with the whole the ethics of eating issue.

Then scroll down or simply click here for Anthony Bourdains comments to Michaels' post.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

I think you can tell from Tony's expression what he thinks of the whole deal :o)

Right, blogging has kept me awake long enough, it's 1.15 am and I'm off to a mates place to watch the Frenchies kick those dirty diving Italians butts in the world cup final

Comments

stu said…
Bourdain is my new god :o)
Anonymous said…
Gone crazy big time. Help the rest of us regain some sanity. Please.
http://www.cafepress.com/antivegetarian
stu said…
Hahaha I don't just allow any form of spam/cross promotion on here, but the above is worthy of a looksee. I love it