MEAT PLATTER: THE PLATTER OF 5 MEATS

In some ways it's good to be home, in others not so much. It's good to be home cos I'm clean (finally), but it was pretty awesome stuff camping out in a dry creek bed for the past 12 days!

I've been away working up in the East Pilbara (in the north/west of Western Australia). Somewhere between, Newman, Port Hedland and Marble bar. Got in last night. Grabbed a taxi home from the airport. I've never really had much trouble with cabbies, hey I was one for a few years so I'm very tolerant, but last night. FFS!!

This guy, whos' name I don't know, as his ID card was upside down and on his side of the car, a big no no for cabbies. As is talking for the whole ride (well yelling really) to your wife on your mobile phone, whilst eating almonds and drinking a coke. Man this guy was almost the pin up boy for bad cabbies world wide!!

Anyways, that cost him a tip, onto better things!

As I mentioned we were camped in a dry creek bed, the Coonairie Creek I believe, for 12 days. We slept in swags on camp stretchers. That's mine below, I plonked myself a fair distance from the others as I can't handle people snoring as much as they can't handle listening to me do the same :o)


Pilbara (6)

View from either end

Pilbara (7)

I awoke every morning to the sun creeping up through the trees along the creekline. An awesome sight, this picture fails to do it justice.

Pilbara (5)

And everynight you slept under a ceiling of stars. Fantastic stuff, it seemed as if you could see into infinity. No big city lights out in the bush to ruin the view. I counted 7 meteorites scorching across the sky on the first night but it took me 6 nights to see my first satellite.

It was extremely dark in bed at night

Pilbara (8)

and pretty cold in the early hours of the morning

Pilbara (10)

We had 3 field guys to look after us, it was almost like an archaeological trek from the 19th century, with a team of servants to cater for your every whim. In the morning they lit a fire for us, laid out our breakfast, put on the billy's. Then they loaded our 4wd's with water for the days work, gave the vehicles a once over, made sure all our equipment was stashed safely and even handed us our field radios.!!

Then they would meet us in the field with our lunch, usually cold meats, salads and bread with ice cold cool drinks or fruit juices.

Then when we got into camp that afternoon, they would offer us cold drinks, then start the evening meal in the camp ovens. Dinner usually consisted of meat. In fact we were served 5 different meats one night, I don't think I will be eating meat for a while, it was like being on an Atkins diet!!

All the vehicles tucked in for the night

Pilbara (4)

Discussing the days finds back at Camp Coonairie

Pilbara (9)

Craig firing up the camp oven

Pilbara (3)

Pilbara (2)

Pilbara (1)

Eventually everyone found out I used to be a chef and of course I was badgered into cooking, cept I was a bit worried about stuffing it up as I had never used a camp oven before (you can see one at Craigs feet two pics above), nothing worse than a city chef stumbling round like a dufus in front of the hardcore bushy folk :o) I did cook a massive apple and cinnamon muffin for everyone one night using a camp oven and it worked a treat. Fortunately we packed up camp 2 days earlier than planned and 1 day before my designated cook for everyone night hehehehe!!

Comments